From late-night binging to early morning workout sessions, there’s no better partner-in-crime than your roommate. Especially since most of us now have to work from home, exercise is something that the entire household can do together. And since the holiday season has passed, we’re all left a particularly unwanted present, namely, the dreadful holiday weight! If health & fitness is on your mind, we have just the exercise routines for you to get you started while working from home. Remember, all awesome things take time! So be consistent, patient, and strict with your workout schedule. And we promise that your hard work will bring you closer to your ‘physically fit’ goal every day!
Should I exercise with my roommates as I work from home?
Health & fitness can be super boring to some, at least in the cold winter months when lazing around seems like the best option. However, nothing is more motivating than to have your friends/roommates join you in your attempt to add some exercise to your routine as you work from home. There’s something really comforting to see your friend sweat and slog alongside you.
“Friendly competition can be a good thing when you are working out because it will push you further than you would on your own. Doing this total body workout with a friend will motivate you try to keep pace with them and in turn make you complete more rounds of work than if you are doing it by yourself.”Mat Forzaglia, Fitness Professional
What is a good total body exercise routine to start with as I work from home?
We have a great total workout routine that even beginners will enjoy. We like to call it 5 under 10, as there are 5 exercises under 10mins. It’s great for those who have just started to exercise while working from home.
Let’s get started on our journey to health & fitness with this simple work from home exercise routine!
Start by doing 1 repetition for each of the 5 exercises in the sheet above.
Now do 2 repetitions for each of the 5 exercises in the sheet above.
Set a timer for 10 minutes and try to complete as many repetitions as possible before the timer buzzes.
Equipment Needed to exercise as you work from home
One set of light dumbles (depending on your preference).
Check out this expert advice on how to select weights that will help you stay physically fit at home!
Roomi Tip: If you’re a beginner start with just 3 rounds and then work your way up by adding more rounds each week.
Related: Easy Exercises To Do When You’re Working From Home
How do I exercise properly as I work from home?
Work from home is stressful enough as it is, don’t let your exercise routine make it worse. So, take it easy. Often times newbies who are enthusiastic about health & fitness, end up doing exercises improperly. This results in muscle damage and injuries. To prevent such mishaps, let’s look at the correct way of doing the exercises in our 5 under 10 routine:
1. Burpee With A Push-Up (One of the best exercises to get physically fit and tone up)
- Begin by standing with your feet apart, then bring your palms to touch the floor. Just as your palm touches the ground, throw your feet back in a high plank position. Keep your core tight!
- Now bend your elbows and get into a push-up position, then push back up into a high plank.
- Bring your feet close to your palms and jump up(as high as you can) with hands stretched upwards. This is counted as 1 rep.
2. Bent-Over Row
- Begin by standing with feet hip-width apart. Hold dumbbells perpendicular to your arms as shown.
- Now fold your knees slightly and bend forward. Keep your back flat, arms straight & hands under shoulders.
- Then lift weights toward chest, and keep your arms close to your body. Followed by extending your arms out. This is 1 rep.
Related: How To Create a Budget-Friendly Gym At Home
3. Mountain Climber Twist
- Start in a high plank with your wrists placed directly under your shoulders.
- Then bring right knee under your torso and toward left elbow.
- Now bring your right foot back to starting position. Repeat the same with left. This is 1 rep.
4. Dumbbell Thruster
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart with a dumbbell in each hand.
- Then push your hips back and lower into a squat. But remember to go as low as you can.
- Then push through your heels to stand and press dumbbells overhead in one movement. This is 1 rep.
5. Weighted Twist
Hey you, health & fitness enthusiasts, you’re going to love this work from home exercise!
- Firstly, hold your weights near your chest and sit with knees bent, feet together, and heels on the floor. An advanced level to this exercise is – feet slight above the ground(as shown).
- Now twist your torso to the left then to the right. This is 1 rep.
We hope that this total body workout motivated you and your roommate to start an exercise routine while working from home and get physically fit!
D’you know what else Roomi does outside of helping its readers exercise with their roommates while working from home? With our ever-increasing lists of rooms and roommates across the world, we help you find your perfect match! Download the app here and hop on the easiest ride home, ever!