Fresno was once famous for its agricultural history, and now it is known for all its national. Not sure what the best things to do in Fresno are? We’ve got you covered! Let’s see what this city has to offer.
Outdoors in Fresno
1. Whitewater rafting at the Kings River Expeditions
If you’re a fan of watersports, then this is undoubtedly one of the best things to do in Fresno. The Kings River is located just southeast of the city, and you can take a day trip down there to participate in activities like whitewater rafting.
- Costs: Prices vary as per trip
- Timings: You can opt for a single or two-day trip. Timings vary.
2. Go hiking at the Sierra National Forest
Some of the best places to visit in Fresno are the local national forests. The city takes good care of its forests, which will become apparent as you walk into the Sierra National Forest. Here, you have hiking trails, campsites, and the opportunity to go fishing with your family!
- Costs: Entry is free, though you may require permits for overnight trips. Each permit costs $6, with an additional charge of $5 per person.
- Timings: Monday to Friday: 8am – 4:30pm
3. Beat the heat at Island Waterpark
Looking for the best things to do in Fresno for the whole family? Visit the Island Waterpark, where you can enjoy water slides and fun activities by the pool. It is the perfect way to cool off during a hot summer’s day.
- Costs: Seasons Pass: $89.99; Regular Admissions range from $16.99 (after dark) to $35.99 (Junior Admission)
- Timings: Monday to Friday: 11am – 6 pm; Saturday & Sunday: 11am to 7pm
4. Enjoy the fresh air at Roeding Park
One of the largest national parks in Fresno, the Roeding Park is home to the Storyland and Playland Amusement Parks, as well as the Fresno Chaffee Zoo.
- Costs: $5 per vehicle ($3 per vehicle with a senior citizen). On busy days, costs go up to $7 per vehicle.
- Timings: Every day, 6am – 7pm
Sports in Fresno
1. Watch the Fresno Grizzlies play!
Heading to the Chukchansi Park to watch Fresno Grizzlies play had to make our list of the best things to do in Fresno. Watching the Grizzlies play is nail-biting, and with the Sierra Mountains standing tall in the background, this is baseball like you’ve never seen it before.
- Costs: Ticket prices start from $15
- Timings: Timings vary per game every season
2. Go to the Save Mart Center
The Save Mart Center hosts a number of different events during the year, but the most anticipated ones are when the Fresno State Bulldogs are playing.
- Costs: Average ticket prices start at $35
- Timings: Timings vary per game every season
Museums in Fresno
1. Visit the Fresno Art Museum
Explore the temporary and permanent exhibitions of centuries-old art on display at the Fresno Art Museum. Every year, a distinguished female artist is presented with an award by the museum, and their body of work is displayed as a temporary exhibition.
- Costs: Adults (18+): $10; Youths (6-17): $5; Children under 5 and Members: Free
- Timings: Thursday to Sunday: 11am – 5pm
2. Explore the Veterans Memorial Museum
Honoring all those who served in the US Army, the Veterans Memorial Museum hosts a vast collection of uniforms, war memorabilia, and weapons. Staffed by veteran volunteers, you can learn about recent military history from eyewitnesses as you walk through the museum.
- Costs: Entry is free
- Timings: Monday to Saturday: 10am – 3pm
3. Travel back in time at the Meux Home Museum
Built in 1888, this Victorian house is the former home of Dr. Meux, who served in the Confederate Army during the American Civil War as an assistant surgeon. Explore what living in Fresno was like over the years as a guide in full costume talks to you about the interesting architectural points of the house.
- Costs: Adults (17+): $10; Children (5-16): $5; Free for Children under 4
- Timings: Friday to Sunday: 12pm – 3pm
Culture in Fresno
1. Go art hopping!
Held during the first and third Thursday night of every month in downtown Fresno, you not only get to explore the contemporary artwork in the city but also sample delicious food. A fun event for the whole family, where you also get to explore the restaurants in Fresno.
- Costs: Free
- Timings: First and third Thursday nights of every month, from 5pm – 8pm
2. Enjoy the old-school theatre charm of Warnors Theatres!
In the mood to watch a classic movie or catch some live music? Head to the Warnors to fulfill your dreams! Opened in 1928, the Warnors Theatre (owned by the Warner Brothers) is now a part of the National Register of Historic Places.
- Costs: Vary as per events
- Timings: Timings vary per event
3. Head to the Big Fresno Fair
Initially, the two-week-long Big Fresno Fair was started to help educate the residents about the agricultural history of the city. Now, you can enjoy live horse racing, music and various other exhibitions there.
- Costs: Monday to Thursday: $20 per vehicle; Friday to Sunday: $25 per vehicle; additional $5 if tickets are purchased at the gate.
- Timings: Tuesday to Thursday: 4pm – 11pm; Friday to Monday: 10am – 12am
Restaurants in Fresno
1. Satisfy your sweet cravings at Ampersand Ice Cream
I scream, you scream … Fresno screams for Ampersand Ice Cream! Enjoy some intriguing flavors, such as sweetcorn ice cream, or go for a regular Madagascan vanilla scoop.
- Costs: vary according to serving size and flavor
- Timings: Monday to Sunday: 12pm – 11pm for all locations.
2. Grab dinner and watch a movie at Roger Rocka’s Dinner Theatre
Enjoy shows like the musical comedy Nunsense or the Jane Austen-esque Daddy Long Legs at the Roger Rocka’s Dinner Theatre. You’re not likely to forget this experience any time soon; Roger Rocka’s is more than just a restaurant in Fresno!
- Costs: Show only – $33; Show with dinner ranges from $40-$62
- Timings: Thursday, Friday, and Saturday – shows start at 5:30PM, Sunday Matinee – 11 AM
Shopping Centres in Fresno
1. Enjoy an outdoor shopping experience at the River Park
With over 75 shops, River Park is where you want to go if you want to buy the latest fashion apparel or grab a delicious bite to eat. Whether you want to head to Kohl’s or stop by the Farmers’ Market, River Park is the place to be.
- Costs: Vary according to activity
- Timings: Monday to Sunday: 7am – 10pm
D’you know what else Roomi does outside of helping its readers find the best things to do in Fresno? With our ever-increasing lists of rooms and roommates across the world, we’ll help you find your perfect match!