Moving to a new city is always exciting, but especially so if it’s Chicago. The culture, the history, the food, the sports- everything about the city is exhilarating! But of course, moving out of your comfort zone and into Chicago is a big decision. One that you shouldn’t take lightly. Like any other major city in the world, the city has its advantages and disadvantages. You need to do your research before deciding on anything. Which is where we come in to help. Roomi has got all the info you need to know before moving to Chicago. So, read on and decide for yourself if moving to Chicago is the right choice for you!
If you’re moving to Chicago, be prepared for the cold
Well, it’s called the Windy City for a reason. The winters in the city can be brutal. So, if you’re thinking of moving to a new city for its cozy weather, Chicago might not be for you. Even by Midwestern standards, Chicago is cold. Because it’s not just the sub-zero temperature that makes it bad, it’s the wind on top of the temperature that will get to you. It might feel like days go by before you even see the sun. We don’t want to ruin the city for you, we just want to make sure you’re prepared for the reality. But if you’re someone who likes cozying up under a blanket and staying indoors, Chicago winters will be great for you! Not to mention, the summers in the city are delightful! It makes the brutal winter months completely worth-it!
You don’t need a car if you’re moving to Chicago
Oh yes, Chicago is a walking city! So, if you’re from New York (or any of these other 8 cities), moving here will be a cake walk (get it?) for you. Not to mention, the CTA is extremely convenient and affordable. Honestly, the only time you really need a car is when you’re trying to drive out of the city on a trip. And even then, be prepared for a stressful drive, the traffic is not fun. So, if you want to move to a new city with a great public transit system, Chicago is the place to be!
Should you rent or buy if you’re moving to Chicago
If you know anything about Chicago real estate, then you know how crazy it is out there. Which makes the city much better for renters. Not to mention, this way you can even get a roommate to cover half the expenses. Plus, you might want to get the feel of the city, before you decide to buy property there.
But even if you were looking to buy your first house, Chicago is a great city to invest in. In fact, if you’re looking for a fixer-upper, Chicago has the second most starter homes in the country. So, if you’re thinking of moving to a new city, Chicago has some great options for you, whether you’re a renter and buyer!
Nothing like a Chicago beach
You might not think of Chicago as a beach city, but you’d be wrong! There’s some amazing lakes in the city that you just cannot miss. There’s about 26 miles of coast along Lake Michigan and it is gorgeous. We recommend spending all your free time during the summers at one of these Chicago beaches. It’ll make you forget all about the horrors that are about to come with winters.
Here are some beaches you have to go to:
- Montrose Beach. This is the only dog-friendly beach in the city. But that’s not all. You can go kayaking, rent a cabana or just hang out on Montrose Beach!
- 31st Street Beach: A very popular destination, 31st Street beach is completely free of charge with some very fun outdoor activities available. Don’t miss it!
- North Avenue Beach: If you’re in Chicago, you have to go to North Avenue Beach, it’s a must. With Castaways at a walking distance, this beach is an iconic Chicago destination that has a lot to offer!
Chicago is a city with a lot of different influences. So, it’s no surprise that the different neighborhoods in the city each have their own distinct personality. And if you’re moving to Chicago, you need to know about each of them, before you decide where you’re going to stay. Because, as you’ll find out, Chicagoans stay loyal to their neighborhoods!
Here’s what you need to know:
- North Chicago: So here’s where all the young folks are at. You can find some amazing Jazz clubs walking around, or go Boutique shopping or simply catch a game. It’s a great place for youngsters to socialize!
- South Chicago: It’s one of the most diverse parts of Chicago. From the Museum Campus to Chinatown, this is an eclectic part of town!
- West Chicago: West Chicago is gorgeous. There’s beautiful churches, monuments and murals. Take all your instagram pictures here!
- Downtown Chicago: This is the tourist part of town. Of course, check it out when you’re just moving to Chicago, you need to do the New city stuff. But we reckon you won’t be hanging out here much after that.
Ultimately, moving to a new city is a complicated decision, even if the city is as charming as Chicago. But if you do decide to move out of your current city and into Chicago, we’re so sure you’ll love it!
D’you know what else Roomi does outside of helping its readers know more about Chicago before moving there? With our ever-increasing lists of rooms and roommates across the world, we help you find your perfect match! Download the app here and hop on the easiest ride home, ever!