For seven years running, Melbourne has been crowned the second most livable city in the world. The country boasts a dynamic, progressive culture with world-famous festivals and large-scale sporting events that take place year-round. Without a doubt, Melbourne is a great city to live in. In this article, I’ll be talking about the city’s food and culture, and where you can find the best restaurants and rooms for rent in Melbourne, Australia.
Getting to Know Melbourne
Melbourne isn’t the official capital of Australia (Canberra is), but it’s definitely the “cultural capital” of the Land Down Under, best known for its music, art galleries, and museums, as well as its many restaurants, bars, and world-famous coffee.
Find Rooms For Rent in Melbourne, Australia
Melbourne is a mix of colorful neighborhoods that each have their own unique feel. As one of the biggest cities in the world at more than 3,857 square miles, Melbourne has so many different neighborhoods that you can find rooms to rent in.
Top neighborhoods in Melbourne
- Melbourne CBD (central business district): Flinders Street, Latrobe, Queen Victoria Market, and Spencer Street are all found in the city center, and world-class street art is just around the corner in Hosier, Caledonian, Union, and AC/DC lanes. In the CBD, you can find and shop for anything and everything, and the best restaurants in Melbourne are only steps away.
- South Yarra: Growing out of one of Melbourne’s very first gay villages, South Yarra is an inner-city neighborhood known for its shopping, restaurants, nightclubs and cafe culture. While you’re there, be sure to check out Prahran Market — the city’s oldest and most popular market.
- Carlton: Famous for coffee and it’s “Little Italy” dining precinct, Carlton a super-cool, super-laidback neighborhood. It is also home to the University of Melbourne, which means it has a fun, vibrant student scene, and is a great place to find rooms for rent in Melbourne.
Average Rent in Melbourne, Australia
|Room For Rent In Melbourne||Average Rent|
|1 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Melbourne||A$399|
|3 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Melbourne||A$801|
|4 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Melbourne||A$876|
|5 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Melbourne||A$1,205|
|6 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Melbourne||A$1,356|
University Life in Melbourne
With world-class education, exceptional campuses, and an inclusive atmosphere, studying in Melbourne is a dream for a lot of people. The city also boasts great opportunities for graduates, and current students can work up to 40 hours per week thanks to the city’s many cafes, restaurants, and nightclubs.
Here is a list of the top universities in Melbourne for you to take a look at:
Is Melbourne safe?
Part of the reason Melbourne is consistently voted one of the world’s most livable cities is because it’s a relatively safe place. But as always, we recommend you remain vigilant and don’t let your guard down so easily.
If you encounter any emergency, you can call 000 to get in touch with a telephone operator who will then connect you to the police, the fire department, or the ambulance. You can also ask for a translator to speak to someone in your own language.
Here are eight safety apps you can download in case you can’t make a phone call in an emergency situation.
- Circle of 6
- Watch Over Me
- Aspire News
How Transit-Friendly is Melbourne?
In Australia, Melbourne is counted as the second most walkable city with friendly, culture-filled neighborhoods. Errands can be done on foot, but with the city’s efficient and free City Circle line, it’s easy to catch a tram if you prefer.
2. Roads & Traffic
The city has well-designed roads with car lanes, tram lanes, and bike lanes — making your visits to restaurants in Melbourne super easy!
You can also check this website for any road closures, road works, and traffic issues in the city.
Trams are a major form of transport in Melbourne — in fact, the city is famous for its trams! It has 1,763 stops and 24 routes and is hailed as the largest operating tram network in the world. Without a doubt, the best way to get around Melbourne is on the 35 City Circle route which covers lots of the city’s tourist attractions and is free to ride.
Another tram system in Melbourne is the City Loop — a mostly underground and partly surface-level subway system that goes around the CBD. The tram has five underground stations: Southern Cross Station, Flagstaff, Melbourne Central, Parliament, and Flinders Street. Using the tram makes it easy and convenient to look for rooms for rent in Melbourne, so be sure to utilize the service when you’re there.
If you’re looking for rooms with an average rent in Melbourne, using the tram is a great convenience.
Just like trams, buses are a major form of public transport in Melbourne, with 346 routes in operation around the city. They also have a Night Network bus system with 10 routes that operate every Friday and Saturday night. For regional areas, Victoria’s V/Line service provides routes to regional areas across the state.
Related: Find Rooms For Rent In London
Restaurants in Melbourne
- Anchovy takes an Australian-Vietnamese approach to its food, even serving a complimentary cup of mint tea as you choose something from the menu. Located in Bridge Road, Richmond, Anchovy brings Vietnam to Melbourne with their signature Banh Mi and their popular steamed clams with turmeric and dill broth. You can learn more about what they offer here and make a reservation here.
- Attica gives you a taste of the best Australian cuisine with an out-of-this-world fine dining experience. They serve a set menu, so be sure to inform the restaurant of any dietary requirements ahead of time, and once you’re seated, the courses (and wine!) will begin to flow. Reservations open on the first Wednesday of each month and often book out in just a few hours. Visit Attica’s website to find out more.
- Butcher’s Diner is open until two in the morning, so you can have a midnight snack or enjoy a meal after you leave the nightclub! As the name suggests, the menu is very meat-centric, so vegans and vegetarians might be best dining elsewhere. They also serve booze and coffee, and you can get in touch with them through their website.
Do you know what else Roomi does outside of helping its readers find rooms for rent in Melbourne? With our ever-increasing lists of rooms and roommates across the world, we help you find your perfect match!