Central LA refers to the historic urban region of Los Angeles and covers some of the most popular areas of the city. It is home to Hollywood, Downtown, Westlake, and other major hubs of Los Angeles. Covering a large part of the city, it is further divided into Area Planning Commissions (APCs) by the Los Angeles Department of City Planning. If you are looking for rooms for rent in Central LA, here’s all you need to know about the area!
Where is Central LA, Los Angeles?
Central LA is an area in the City of Los Angeles, the largest city in the state of California and the second-largest in the country. The area is both flat and hilly since the city is surrounded by hills and rugged terrain. Experiencing a Mediterranean climate, this area receives little rainfall, warm days, and cool nights all year round. Falling in the ‘Pacific Ring of Fire’, it is prone to earthquakes because of the numerous fault lines running through the state.
Find rooms for rent in Central LA, Los Angeles
If you are looking for rooms for rent in Central LA, the first decision that you need to make is which area you want to live in. Since it covers a large area, Central LA is divided into Area Planning Commissions (APCs). Each of them can be quite different, meaning that the average rent in Central LA, Los Angeles can vary. Additionally, these APCs are divided into further Community Plan areas (CPAs). The six CPAs areas that makeup Central LA are:
- Central City CPA: Popularly known as Downtown, this is the central business district and heart of Central Los Angeles.
- Central City North CPA: Also known as the Wholesale District, it is a commercial hub with several industries and warehouses.
- Hollywood CPA: The birthplace of major film studios like Disney, Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros., and Universal Pictures, Hollywood is an icon of the film industry.
- Westlake CPA: Westlake is a mostly residential and commercial neighborhood with many apartments and a dense population.
- Wilshire CPA: Mostly a residential area, Wilshire is also home to famous spots like the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Petersen Automotive Museum, and the Miracle Mile shopping district.
Average rent in Central LA, Los Angeles
|Rooms for rent in Central LA||Average Rent|
|1 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Central LA||$1,949|
|2 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Central LA||$2,504|
|3 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Central LA||$3,786|
Is Central LA safe?
Central LA is known to be a fairly safe, and popular area that you can explore without concern. If you are moving here and want to learn about the safety of the area and more, here are some resources that can help.
- Areavibes: Areavibes is a great, free website that provides information on livability, safety, crimes, cost of living, etc. It sources this information from residents and can be insightful when you’re searching for rooms for rent in Central LA.
- Niche: Niche is another great website that provides you with reviews and information on a range of neighborhoods. If you’re planning a move to Central LA, you can gain insights from people already living in the area.
- Hotline numbers: Ridgewood is served by the 104th Precinct of the NYPD, located at 64-02 Catalpa Avenue. There is also a fire station located nearby at 56-07 Metropolitan Avenue. Here are the hotline numbers to remember: the emergency services or police can be reached by dialing 911, while other non-emergency services can be reached on 311.
Public Transit in Central LA, Los Angeles
With a walk score of 68 awarded by walkscore.com, Central LA has decent walkability. If you are searching for rooms for rent in Central LA, make sure that everything you need is within walking distance. While it is fairly easy to get around on foot, it can be slightly inconvenient in some neighborhoods.
2. Roads & Traffic
Roads in Los Angeles are fairly easy to navigate with the area laid out in a grid system with uniform block lengths and some roads that cut across blocks. Traffic can be an issue in many parts of Central LA with major rush-hour congestion. In fact, the Urban Mobility Report ranks Los Angeles road traffic as the most congested in the United States! So if you are living in Central LA, you may want to consider public transportation instead.
3. Nearby Train Stations
Trains in Central LA are operated by the LA County Metropolitan Transportation Authority, commonly known as the Metro. The metro operates light rail and subway lines with the city’s subway system being the ninth busiest in the country. Central LA is also connected by inter-city passenger trains from Amtrak with the main rail station, Union Station located just north of Downtown.
4. Nearby Bus Stops
Buses in the Central LA area are also operated by the LA County Metropolitan Transportation Authority with over 140 bus routes connecting Central LA and the city. Also the second busiest bus system in the country, Metro buses offer connectivity to most areas in Central LA. If you plan to use the Metro system, make sure there is a stop nearby when looking for rooms for rent in Central LA.
Restaurants in Central LA, Los Angeles
1. Pizzeria Mozza
Started by Nancy Silverton, the famous American chef, baker, and author, this pizza joint is one of the most popular in the city. Appearing on the Netflix show ‘Chef’s Table’ this restaurant is known to serve up some of the finest creations with the fine touch of Nancy’s expertise. Using the freshest ingredients sourced in California, this is one of the must-visit restaurants in Central LA, Los Angeles.
2. Café Gratitude
Located in the Downtown area of Central LA, this café serves organic, plant-based food. Founded by Terces and Matthew Engelhart, this joint is focuses on their principles and values to provide the best experience for the customers and staff. Even if you aren’t vegan, the excellent dishes make this one of the best restaurants in Central LA, Los Angeles.
If you’re craving seafood, Providence is one of the best restaurants in Central LA, Los Angeles. Serving award-winning cuisine by Chef Michael Cimarusti, this place only uses the finest sustainable seafood from regional coasts and international waters. Ranked among the “Top 50 Restaurants in the United States” by Gourmet magazine, this place is a dream if you love seafood.
Parks in Central LA, Los Angeles
- Los Angeles State Historic Park: Spanning an open area of 32 acres; this park is located near Chinatown and offers stunning views of Downtown LA. It was renovated in 2017 and is one of the most popular parks in the area. Now, it features drought-tolerant landscaping, a scenic overlook bridge, an orange grove.
- Echo Park Lake: This park is a great location for family outings or photography with a stunning view of the Downtown LA skyline. With pedal boats, winding paths, and recreational areas, this park is the perfect spot if you are searching for rooms for rent in Central LA nearby.
- Grand Park: This 12-acre park is located in the civic center area of LA and features plazas, fountains, and a Court of Flags. It stretches from Los Angeles City Hall to the Los Angeles Music Center on Grand Avenue.
Iconic films shot in Central LA, Los Angeles
- La La Land (2016): Filmed all around LA, this film features stunning views of several iconic spots around Los Angeles.
- Fight Club (1999): While set in Delaware, Fight Club features many locations around Los Angeles. However, Director David Fincher avoided recognizable landmarks in favor of smaller local spots.
- Captain Marvel (2019): Set across the galaxy, this massive superhero film was filmed in several spots across Los Angeles like Valencia Street, Valley Plaza, Gillibrand Quarry, and The entire LA metro system.
D’you know what else Roomi does outside of helping its readers find rooms for rent in Central LA, Los Angeles? With our ever-increasing lists of rooms and roommates across the world, we help you find your perfect match!