Did you know that about 70% to 80% of the dust in your house comes from the dead skin cells we shed, tiny fibers from our clothes, dried feces, and dust mite corpses? This is one of those ‘eww, gross’ facts that will make you want to deep clean and sanitize your apartment immediately. Feel the itch to sanitize your room and your soul? We got you!
Yuck! Regular cleaning will help you keep surfaces clean, but deep cleaning is a must – especially now that coronavirus has turned us into home dwellers and home workers. The shift to working from home has got us spending more and more time in our private spaces which equals more germs and bacteria that can potentially grow around us.
No need to worry! ‘Cause Roomi has your back ? Here’s a checklist you can use to clean and sanitize room-by-room.
Before you start to deep clean and sanitize your apartment, here’s a fool-proof game plan:
- Clear the clutter
- Plan your cleaning process over a few days
- Stock your cleaning supplies before you begin. The United States Environmental Protection Agency provides this List of disinfectants to use against COVID-19 – we recommend checking it out.
1. Don’t forget to sanitize your apartment bathrooms!
- Scrub and clean showers, bathtubs, sinks, and toilets – spray your tub with multi-purpose cleaner and let it work its magic for a while before you clean.
- Wipe down fixtures, mirrors, and windows
- Wash glass shower doors
- Put cloth curtains and shower mats in the washing machine
- Clean out under the sink and inside drawers
- Tackle the grout – with vinegar, baking soda, and water
- Disinfect handles and doorknobs
- Wipe the base of the toilet near the floor, where dust and dribbles accumulate
- To remove buildup on the mirror, a slightly damp dryer sheet will work well
2. Sanitize your apartment kitchen: keep the pesky bugs away!
- Wipe down cabinets
- Vacuum out the refrigerator coils and vents
- Defrost the freezer and clean the fridge
- Throw away old sponges
- Scrub the stovetop and vent
- Clean the oven
- Organize the pantry
- Clean the microwave
- Disinfect the sink
- Wipe down the countertops
- Coat gas stovetop surfaces (not the grates) with car wax, then wipe it off. The car wax will make it easier to clean up future spills.
- Hang a writing board inside your pantry to keep notes of what you have or what you need.
3. Common areas
- An important step to sanitize your apartment properly is to ensure common areas are in order
- Vacuum the space underneath the cushions from the couches and chairs
- Shampoo rugs and carpets to sanitize them
- Polish wooden furniture to clean them
- Clean and wipe ceiling fans, baseboards, window treatments, and light fixtures
- Dust your décor
- Clean your electronics to sanitize
- To remove stains from microfiber fabrics, use rubbing alcohol by dabbing it on with a white sponge and scrub with a white bristle brush
- The “steam” function on your clothing iron works as an excellent steam cleaner
- Blast your wooden furniture with a hairdryer at close range, especially places with water stains and then treat the wood with a furniture polish or mineral oil
- Use a lint roller on lampshades to remove any dust or pet hair that has accumulated there
- To sanitize your room properly, start from the center and move outwards
- Wash the duvet cover and bedding, including bed skirts and shams
- Flip your mattress
- Dust ceiling fans, window treatments, and headboards to clean them
- Check behind dressers and under beds and vacuum/mop
- To remove mattress stains, use a foam shaving cream. Use a slightly damp rag dipped in a half-water/half-vinegar solution to wipe off the shaving cream once it has been there for 15 minutes.
- There could be dust clamps falling from the ceiling fans. You can prevent this by sliding each fan blade into a pillowcase to get the dust off before taking a rag to it.
- Use a telescoping pole to your vacuum cleaner and a mop head to reach hard places on your furniture.
- You may want to skip this step to sanitize your apartment, but closet clutter takes the longest!
- Rotate seasonal items
- Throw away items that you no longer need
- Vacuum carpet and ceilings
- Wipe down shelves and inside drawers
- To organize smaller items like hand towels or underwear, use drawer dividers or fabric bins.
6. Laundry Room
- The laundry room makes clean, but it’s another place people often forget. Sanitize your room to ensure your clothes are always fresh smelling and never moldy.
- Wipe laundry machines and countertops to sanitize them
- Toss rogue dryer sheets and empty detergent bottles
- Organize supplies
- Sanitize your washing machine
- Clean the link trap filter and the dryer vent
- Mop or vacuum the floor
- To clean the entire vent line of laundry machines, consider calling in professional duct cleaning services
- Sweep the floors and sanitize them
- Maximize your vertical space
8. Outdoor Spaces
- Get the hose out and wash up
- Tidy the yard
D’you know what else Roomi does outside of helping you deep clean and sanitize your apartment? With our ever-increasing lists of rooms and roommates across the world, we help you find your perfect match! Download the app here and hop on the easiest ride home, ever!