Recognized as the “Most Business-Friendly City” in Los Angeles County, Whittier is a place with a small-town feel, convenient location, and loving community. Additionally, the city has plenty of activities on offer, including zoos, specialty shops, historic districts, and trails perfect for families or individuals looking for an adventure. If you’re thinking of making the big move, Roomi is here to help! This city guide will get you acquainted with the city and its perks. More specifically, how much the average rent in Whittier is, how commuting goes, how student-friendly the city is, and most importantly, where to find rooms for rent in Whittier.
Related: Rooms for Rent in Pomona, CA
Getting to Know Whittier, CA
Named after the Quaker poet John Greenleaf Whittier, Whittier is known for its traditions and rich history. The city has an upscale and dynamic residential community with opportunities for everyone! Moreover, it’s a great place to raise a family, lay down roots, or just jumpstart your life. You would have access to quality grocery stores, restaurants, outdoor activities, shopping centers, and more, all on your doorstep.
Finding rooms for rent in Whittier
The city of Whittier used to be geographically small, but over time, various lands surrounding the area were incorporated into it. Now, Whittier is filled with well-maintained infrastructures on majestic hills to the north, as well as freeway access to LA and Orange County communities. Finding rooms for rent in Whittier is simple and hassle-free with the city’s tree-lined streets and culture-filled neighborhoods.
Top neighborhoods in Whittier
- Friendly Hills: When it comes to high-end neighborhoods, Friendly Hills is the place to be. This neighborhood dates back to 1949 and features large homes with high value. Mostly affluent families live around this area, as it has nine schools and multiple tennis courts that are open to the community.
- Uptown Whittier: Known as the “Heart of Whittier,” Uptown Whittier has a historic feel to it with cobblestone architecture and tree-lined streets. You will quickly feel the loving community of the city in this neighborhood with the number of shops, bars, and restaurants to try out. Uptown Whittier is definitely one of the top contenders in finding rooms for rent in Whittier.
- College Hills Historic District: As one of the four historic districts in the city, College Hills doesn’t disappoint. The neighborhood is one of the first planned hillside developments in the city and is now home to over 97 properties. With steep slopes and curving hills, College Hills is a perfect representation of how Whittier’s residential appeal has developed.
Average rent in Whittier
|Rooms for rent in Whittier||Average Rent|
|1 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Whittier||$1,148|
|2 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Whittier||$2,296|
|3 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Whittier||$3,444|
University life in Whittier
Whittier boasts two things: a family-friendly environment and an exceptional education system. The city provides a safe suburban environment that immediately makes tourists and new students feel at home. Moreover, Whittier has over 100 colleges within 50 miles that you could choose from, and on top of that, some colleges offer a “study abroad” program, and some classes can even be taken online.
Here is a list of the top universities in Whittier:
Although it isn’t a requirement, on-campus housing is available in most of these colleges. However, we can help you find rooms for rent in Whittier to make your college life easier while getting that degree!
How transit-friendly is Whittier?
Finding apartments for rent in Whittier can be tedious, but with the help of the city’s efficient public transport, moving in will be a breeze! There are many roads you can take and taxi services that you can hire. Also, bus stops are aplenty in the area!
You don’t have to worry about traffic in Whitter as the city has various roads that will make apartment hunting easier for you! The San Gabriel Freeway can take you along the northern part of the city, while State Route 72 runs through Whittier Boulevard.
Numerous taxi services are available in Whittier. You can take the LA Yellow Cab, A&A Whittier Yellow Cab, Mid City Taxi, and more. Plus, booking a taxi means riding with a local, who might be able to help you find some of the best restaurants in Whittier!
3. Bus stops
The best way to go around Whittier is through their very efficient bus routes. The city has four major bus lines: Metro, Foothill Transit, Montebello Bus Lines, and Norwalk Transit. Additionally, a circular bus route serves Whittier and South and West Whittier called the Sunshine Shuttle. These bus routes pass through the whole city, so taking the bus is the best way to find rooms for rent in Whittier.
Five major airports surround Whittier: Long Beach Airport (LGB), Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), John Wayne Airport (SNA), LA/Ontario International Airport (ONT), and Bob Hope Airport (BUR). Three can cater to international flights (LAX, SNA, and ONT), while two are domestic airports (LGB and BUR).
Historical Landmarks in Whittier
- Rose Hills Memorial Park is the largest cemetery in North America, with over 1,400 acres of land. They also house the award-winning SkyRose Chapel and Pageant of Roses Garden. Rose Hills is the perfect place for families to remember their loved ones. You can read more about them on their website.
- Whittier Museum is a place where the history of Whittier is celebrated. A typical visit to the museum can take about 30 to 60 minutes, and admission is free of charge. They also have a gift shop next to the building! Check out the museum brochure here and learn more through their website.
- Pío Pico State Historic Park houses the Pío Pico Mansion, the final home of Pío Poco, the last governor of Alta California and a major figure in the history of California. The park is listed as Casa de Governor Pio Pico in the California Historical Landmarks and is one of the first State Historic Parks.
Shopping Centers in Whittier
- Whittwood Town Center is Whittier’s regional shopping mall with over a hundred stores to shop from. The town center serves Whittier and the surrounding communities in the area. Additionally, they also host events and have many offers for their shoppers. You can look at their list of upcoming events and offer here. The town center also has some of the best restaurants in Whittier, don’t forget to check them out!
- Half Off Books is a “little old bookshop” that buys and sells books, records, and films. You can buy used books at the shop and even sell your own collection at an affordable price. Moreover, they’re a bookshop promoting freedom of speech, literacy, and individuality. Nothing gets better than that!
Do you know what else Roomi does outside of helping its readers find rooms for rent in Whittier, CA? With our ever-increasing lists of rooms and roommates across the world, we help you find your perfect match!