We are delighted you selected Roomi to be your online city guide for Decatur, GA. If you want to find rooms for rent in Decatur, GA, and the average rent in Decatur — read on to find all key information and more about the city.
Originally Decatur was largely forested; it was founded at the intersection of two Native American trails: the Sandtown and the Shallowford. The City of Decatur was incorporated in December 1823. You’ll find historic neighborhoods where you can look for rooms for rent in Decatur, GA.
An eastern suburb of Atlanta, Decatur, is in the county seat of DeKalb County, Georgia.
Getting to Know Decatur
Decatur is home to roughly 25,000 people and offers year-round events and festivals, restaurants, local shops, and services.
Summers are hot and muggy; typically from May to September, the hottest being July. Winters are short, cold, and wet; typically from November to February, the coldest being January.
The milieu in Decatur is a blend of traditional small-town, with the delight of a college-town, coupled with the benefits of a metropolitan area. It has a mix of ethnic diversity and is distinctly a white-collared city. Many people working here are involved in management, healthcare, and teaching.
Finding rooms for rent in Decatur, GA
Any of the five business and retail districts can be recced for rooms for rent in Decatur, GA.
- The Decatur Square: is Decatur’s quintessential historic downtown area. It’s a 15-blocks walkable area that is surrounded by professional firms, fashionable unique retailers, and local and national restaurants.
- West Ponce District: is a district known for its many restaurants. There’s also a yoga and fitness center, retail stores, and convenient services.
- Old Depot District (ODD): comprises locally owned eateries, service providers, small commercial offices catering to the immediate neighborhood.
- Oakhurst District: is centered around the family-friendly Harmony Park and is surrounded by eateries and retails stores. On the northern boundary of Oakhurst is the MARTA rail station and commercial properties.
- East Decatur District: is located a few blocks from the Avondale MART station along East College Avenue. This district comprises a neighborhood pub, a tattoo parlor, a glass blowing studio, and many restaurants and services.
Related: Find Rooms for rent in Atlanta, GA
Top neighborhoods in Decatur
- Avondale Estates: is down the street from Downtown Decatur Square. In this neighborhood, 1950s ranch-style homes, new construction and Craftsman homes, and its Tudor Revival style architecture stand out. This is the place to look for rooms for rent in Decatur, GA, if you’re looking for a place with history. The neighborhood is home to the original Waffle House and the Waffle House Museum!
- Winnona Park: at the Southeastern corner is a short walk to downtown Decatur and is bordered by Agnes Scott College, Columbia Theological Seminary, The Waldorf School, and Dearborn Park. This neighborhood offers charming restaurants and locally-owned boutiques.
- Ponce De Leon Heights: is situated in the west section of Decatur. The Place on Ponce, the first residential community of its kind, is a new development. The facility houses a swimming pool, a resident club room with a billiard table, controlled access entry, and parking garage, and more. If you’re looking for rooms for rent in Decatur, GA, with modern amenities, head to this neighborhood!
Average rent in Decatur, GA
Studio apartments are the smallest and the most affordable when looking for rooms for rent in Decatur, GA.
|Room For Rent In Decatur||Average Rent|
|1 Bedroom Apartment In Decatur||$998|
|2 Bedroom Apartment In Decatur||$1,996|
|3 Bedroom Apartment In Decatur||$2,400|
University life in Decatur, GA
University life is undoubtedly busy; however, you can find time to spare to explore the ‘outside’ world. Decatur is a safe city, and exploring the town and all that it has to offer with new friends will be exciting. If you plan on staying off-campus, look for rooms for rent in Decatur, GA, near your selected university. This will allow you to save money that may have been spent on commute.
- Agnes Scott College
- Georgia Perimeter College
- Gupton-Jones College of Funeral Service
- DeVry University
- Columbia Theological Seminary
How transit-friendly is Decatur?
1. Walkability & Bikeability
Per the Community Development Report of 2021, Decatur is nationally recognized as a “Walk-friendly, Bike-friendly, Special Needs Community and an Atlanta Regional Commission Green Community.”
North Decatur & Ponce de Leon during rush hours, typically from 8.am. to 9.am. And 5.pm. to 6.pm., can be congested. You can assess the roads and traffic conditions in certain areas in the Decatur Downtown Drive video below without commentary.
3. Public Transportation
Three Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) rail stations (Decatur, East Lake, and Avondale) serve the medium-sized city. In addition, to two bus-lines and three-zip-car options for car-share make public commute extremely convenient.
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport: 16-miles driving distance from Decatur and services domestic and international flights.
- Athens-Ben Epps Airport: 70-miles driving distance from Decatur and services domestic flights.
- Middle Georgia Regional Airport: 90-miles driving distance from Decatur, with domestic flights from Orlando and Atlanta.
Restaurants in Decatur, GA
- Cafe Lily: is a restaurant and wine bar that serves healthy Mediterranean cuisine. Termed a cafe, it’s a cafe-class of its own situated in downtown Decatur.
- The Iberian Pig: A warm, inviting setting to enjoy the Spanish, fine wines, and cocktails. This restaurant caters, has dine-in, takeout, wine to-go, delivery, and family meals.
- No. 246: Situated in Ponce De Leon Ave, this is an Italian-American-feel-space restaurant. The space feels like old-school, mob-style destinations of the late 70s and serves excellent food.
- Brush: From traditional to modern, they serve all things in authentic Japanese style with drinks and cuisine. Ramen to Sushi and everything Japanese; while looking for rooms for rent in Decatur, GA, this will definitely be a neat place to eat.
Shopping in Decatur, GA
In Decatur, wherever you go, there are local retail stores to shop from every corner and on every lane. You will find jewelry, apparel; books; CDs!, yeah, CDs, footwear, cigars & tobacco, glass-blown artifacts, and homegrown (Gifts, Arts, and Home Goods). Decatur Business Directory provides a detailed list with websites and location details.
D’you know what else Roomi does outside of helping its readers find rooms for rent in Decatur? With our ever-increasing lists of rooms and roommates across the world, we help you find your perfect match!